August 27, 2016
Parker Family Barbeque & Picnic on the Severn River with ESA, Steve Churchill
Welcome to our web site
Beware of the Maryland Beta SAE terrapin who is also a True Gentleman.
April 1, 2016
"Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl" - in Honor of our Courageous Brother, Mike Mandl
October 17, 2016
Special Guests from UMPD & P.G. County PD with SAE Chapter Members
In the News
- Winners Announced for Best Decorated Tree and Most Toys Collected in SAE's: M I R A C L E ~ T R E E S. Congratulations to ADP in the tree decorating competition portion. After 72,000 hits on our Facebook page and over 5,000 votes, ADP claimed best decorated M I R A C L E ~ T R E E. Congratulations also to DG for the most toy donations collected with toys and all proceeds to benefit the Children's Miracle Network (CMN). The toys will all be delivered to Children's Hospital on December 16. Thanks to all who voted to support this charitable cause.
Thanks to Home Depot for donating two of the trees and $80 of batteries towards this event,
and thanks also to Blaze Pizza for donating 20% of all proceeds collected from 6 PM to 9 PM on Monday, December 12.
- Welcome Newly Elected E-Board Officers: Yuval Elkun, Eminent Archon (President); Alex Fernandez III, Eminent Deputy Archon (Vice-President); Will Columbia, Recorder; Joe Malandruccolo IV, Health & Safety Officer; Anthony Ferraro, Recruitment Chair; Andy Miller, Member Educator; Tommy Benson, Brotherhood Chair; and Matthew Schaney continues as Treasurer through April 2017.
- Recruitment is truly a year round process at Maryland Beta. It is important that interested high school seniors and UMD students submit a Recruitment Recommendation and state their potential interest early on (click here) so they can get on the recruitment/rush list and be kept informed of recruitment events throughout the semester. Similarly, alumni and friends of chapter members should also submit a Recruitment Recommendation to the chapter (click here). For more information about Maryland Beta's recruitment, click on the RUSH button in the top menu bar above.
- "Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl": was held on April 1, from 3 - 5 PM at the Alpha Omicron Pi (AOP) chapter house. SAE is raising awareness of youth cancer and raising charitable funds since it has "hit home." 22 year old Mike Mandl, from Clarksville, MD, a former member of the chapter, was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma two days before Christmas 2015. He has undergone chemotherapy followed by an operation on March 30. With more chemotherapy to follow, he has a long road ahead since the cancer may have spread.
This event was in honor of him and raised $3,100 in proceeds for Relay for Life (American Cancer Society) and the The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults and highlighted this seldom talked about youth disease. The College Park community came out in full support of this worthy cause. Our Creed teaches us to become a True Gentleman, and this event is a prime example of what our fraternity is all about. Best wishes go out to Mike, his family and friends.
- Seven Centennial Honor Roll Honorees Named as part of DFSL's celebration of 100 years of Greek life on the University of Maryland Campus. Each Greek Letter organization earned one honoree slot for every 10 years they remained active on campus. SAE is proud to boast of our seven honorees:
- Harold M. "Hal" Brierley, '65
- Harry C. "Curly" Byrd, '43 (posthumously)
- Raymond M. "Hondo" Davids, '77
- Edward M. "Ed" Downey, '52
- Christopher P. "Chris" Gaylor, '72
- John N. Lauer, '63
- Charles E. "Chaz" Seymour, '82
SAE National Fraternity Fact Sheet (click to view)
* Our Mission: "Advancing the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, leadership and service for our members throughout life."
* Our Values: "In congruence with the Mission and virtues of SAE, we hold these core values critical to advance the Strategic Plan: Trust, Integrity, Loyalty, Honor and Inclusivity".
* Our Vision: "True Gentlemen making our global community better"
* Our Creed: The True Gentleman (click to view)
For additions or corrections to this page or to the web site, please contact the MDBE Webmaster (click to e-mail)