August 26, 2017
Parker Family Barbeque & Picnic on the Severn River with ESA, Steve Churchill
Welcome to our web site
Beware of the Maryland Beta SAE terrapin who is also a True Gentleman
April 13, 2017
"Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl" - in Honor of our Courageous Brother, Mike Mandl
March 3, 2018
Founder's Day, SAE's 162nd birthday and the kickoff of our 75th Anniversary year at Maryland
In the News
Celebrating 75 years of Brotherhood: Oct. 24, 1943 -- Oct. 24, 2018
75th Anniversary Weekend Celebration - October 19 - 21, 2018
(click here to register for the weekend)
- WELCOME NEW MEMBERS who were initiated on September 16 in the University of Maryland Memorial Chapel on campus: Nick Daeschner, Bel Air, MD; Jeremy Page, Southport, CT; Kevin Senkus, Monroe Township, NJ; Yashu Sharma, Saudi Arabia; Jim Staines, Potomac, MD; and Patrick Yi, Severna Park, MD. Six men joining the ranks of True Gentlemen of the Maryland Beta Chapter of SAE.
- RECRUITMENT: is truly a year round process at Maryland Beta. It is important that interested high school seniors and UMD students submit a Recruitment Interest Form (click here) and state your potential interest early so you can be placed on the recruitment/rush list and be kept informed of recruitment events throughout the semester. Similarly, alumni and friends of members should also submit a Recruitment Recommendation Form (click here) to the chapter. Some of the traits and qualities we look for include, but are not limited to: above average scholarship, participation in athletics and/or extracurricular clubs and activities, leadership, commitment to volunteerism, community service and the desire to cultivate and develop lifetime friendships. Membership in SAE is for life and the fraternity fosters these relationships among all individuals, irrespective of age, race, ethnic background, religion or creed. For more information about Maryland Beta's recruitment, click on the RUSH button in the top menu bar above.
- LEADERSHIP TRAINING: Antony DiDonato, Owen Kadow, Brandon Kwintner and Collin Morgan traveled to the Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass in Phoenix, Arizona for the 83rd annual John O. Moseley Leadership School August 3 through August 6 for intensive leadership training with nearly 600 other collegiate members from across the United States and Canada. This training prepared these up and coming officers with the tools and leadership qualities they need to help lead the Maryland Beta Chapter to a successful future.
- WE FINALLY DID IT after eight years back on campus. We are extremely humbled and honored to have received the William E. Kirwan Most Improved Chapter Award at the Greek Awards Ceremony held on May 2 in the Stamp Grand Ballroom. This award helps us to validate the hard work of our members and their collective goal of becoming a better chapter within the IFC at Maryland. These efforts also prove that with focused determination, enthusiasm and perseverance, that we can maintain our image as proud True Gentlemen of the Maryland Beta Chapter of SAE.
- FALL 2017 OFFICER ELECTIONS: Jonathan Saewitz, Eminent Treasurer; Owen Kadow, Eminent Recorder & Alumni Chair; Antony DiDonato, Health & Safety Officer; Brandon Kwintner, Recruitment Chair; Liam Guida, Member Educator; Collin Morgan, Social Chair; Sid Mamidi, Service/Philanthropy Chair & Scholarship Chair; Graham Berry, Eminent Warden, Eminent Chronicler/Social Media Chair; Cody Waring, Eminent Chaplain; Ben Schneider, Eminent Correspondent; Mike Alecci, Eminent Herald; Jake Goldstein, Brotherhood & Intramurals Chair; Vince Ciccone, Songmaster; Aaron Reznick, UMD Chapter Expectations Chair; and Qin Zheng, UMD Chapter Diversity Chair. Both Austin Gray, Eminent Archon; and Ryan Ziemski, Eminent Deputy Archon, continue their one year offices until December 2018. We wish them all congratulations and much success as our leadership transitions at Maryland Beta.
- FOUNDERS DAY: SAE's 162nd birthday, was celebrated on March 3, at Mulligan’s Grill & Pub in the University of Maryland Golf Course Clubhouse Thomas Room. Alumni and active members enjoyed a great afternoon of food and brotherhood. After lunch, a brief program was held to announce the annual chapter and alumni award winners. This year, Ryan Ziemski ‘20 received the coveted True Gentleman of the Year Award (Honorable Mention, Austin Gray '19); Matt Brennan ‘18 received the Excellence in Scholarship Award for the second year in a row (Honorable Mention, Will Columbia '19); James Psoras '18 was recognized for achieving a 4.0 GPA in both the Spring and Fall 2017 semesters; and Patrick Noonan Gettysburg '65, received the James G. Sakers Outstanding Alumnus Award. Certificates of Appreciation were also presented to alumni Gary Armstrong, Michael Dunn and Glenn Parker, Jr..
- CHAPTER ETERNAL welcomed Brother John N. Lauer, Maryland '63, who died on Friday, Feb. 23, after an 8-month illness with cancer. He had just turned 79 three days before his death. John was the truest of True Gentlemen who was one of the primary alums who brought the chapter back on campus in 2009, and who has unselfishly supported it in countless ways since, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe. A Celebration of Life was held in Memorial Chapel at the University of Maryland on Saturday, April 14, at 10:30 AM.
- REGIONAL LEADERSHIP SCHOOL: Fourteen representatives of the MDBE Chapter attended the Quint Biennial Leadership School at West Chester University, February 9 - 10. Representatives included: Graham Berry, Patrick Bevan, Vince Ciccone, Chris Dillon, Jake Goldstein, Austin Gray, Rory Hodgson, Owen Kadow, Grant Leonard, Scott Macchia, David Rochford, John Ziemski, Ryan Ziemski, and Dan Gladding, Chapter Advisor. Over 200 men attended from chapters in Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia, along with members from our National Office and regional volunteers who facilitated the school. The members met to discuss critical initiatives within Sigma Alpha Epsilon and collaborated on policy and services to benefit our chapters and members.
- M I R A C L E..T R E E S: was a huge success again this year. 10 sororities participated in the annual 7.5 foot tree decorating contest and toys collection program for Children’s National Hospital. They included: ΑΔΠ, ΑΞΔ, ΑΟΠ, ΑΦ, ΓΦΒ, ΔΓ, ΔΔΔ, ΔΦΕ, ΣΚ, ΦΣΣ. Winners included ΑΔΠ with the most Facebook likes for their Miracle Tree picture and ΣΚ with collecting the most toys at 59. Each winner received a $200 check to donate to their favorite charity. A total of 185 toys were donated to Children’s National Hospital on December 15 and $365 was collected via a GoFundMe campaign in addition to a $300 check donation from the ΣΑΕ chapter.
Our Creed: The True Gentleman (click to view)
Our Fraternity: SAE Fact Sheet (click to view)
Our Mission: is to advance the highest standards of
friendship, scholarship, leadership and service
for our members throughout life.
Our Thanks: for making a donation to the Maryland Beta Chapter,
please click on the Donate button below to access our secure
PayPal account which accepts all major credit cards:
For additions or corrections to this page or to the website, please contact the Webmaster (click to e-mail).