April 1, 2016
In Honor of our Courageous Brother, Mike Mandl
Welcome to our web site
Beware of the Maryland Beta SAE Turtle!
SAE and Maryland Beta 73 years and counting!
New Members Taking the Oath to Become an SAE
In the News
- Parker Picnic - SAVE THE DATE: Saturday, August 27, from noon to 4 PM will see the return of the popular Parker Family Alumni Picnic in Severna Park, MD (along the banks of the Severn River). Details are in the Summer 2016 Special Edition of the Maryland Beta Brief newsletter. Another SAE tradition returning this summer for alumni and members of the Maryland Beta Chapter.
- Recruitment is truly a year round process at Maryland Beta. It is important that interested high school seniors and UMD students submit a Recruitment Recommendation and state their potential interest early on (click here) so they can get on the recruitment/rush list and be kept informed of recruitment events throughout the semester. Similarly, alumni and friends of chapter members should also submit a Recruitment Recommendation to the chapter (click here). For more information about Maryland Beta's recruitment, click on the RUSH button in the top menu bar above.
- Recruitment/Rush Activities: SAE is about to begin a new semester and seeks to achieve its best recruitment ever. Are you ready to become a True Gentleman, a Brother and a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity? Here is our schedule of Recruitment Events so you can check us out:
- Tuesday, Aug. 30, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM, "Meet the Greeks" at Stamp Student Union Ballroom
- Wednesday, Aug. 31, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, "Pick up Basketball/Dodgeball" at Ritchie Coliseum
- Thursday, Sept. 1, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM, "Hoagies and Stogies" at 4813 Harvard Avenue
- Saturday, Sept. 3, 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM, INVITE ONLY, "Game Day Brotherhood" at Maryland Stadium (watching the Terps host Howard)
- Monday, Sept. 5, INVITE ONLY, Brotherhood Barbeque
- Tuesday, Sept. 6, INVITE ONLY, Bid Dinner (dress attire)
- Wednesday, Sept. 7, Bids Released to Potential New Members
- Saturday, Sept. 10, INVITE ONLY, New Member Ceremony
- Changing of the Guard: On Monday, May 9, SAE installed its newly elected Exec. Board officers who will lead the chapter until late Fall 2016: Yuval Elkun, President; Matt Brennan, Vice President; Matthew Schaney, Treasurer, Michael Schraibman, Recorder; Jon Spadafino, Recruitment Chair; Kevin Bergmann, Member Educator, Andrew Lehnus, Health & Safety Officer; and Farshid Teymourian, Brotherhood Chair. Congrats to our new leaders!
- "Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl": was held on April 1, from 3 - 5 PM at the Alpha Omicron Pi (AOP) chapter house. SAE is raising awareness of youth cancer and raising charitable funds since it has "hit home." 22 year old Mike Mandl, from Clarksville, MD, a former member of the chapter, was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma two days before Christmas 2015. He has undergone chemotherapy followed by an operation on March 30. With more chemotherapy to follow, he has a long road ahead since the cancer may have spread.
This event was in honor of him and raised $3,100 in proceeds for Relay for Life (American Cancer Society) and the The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults and highlighted this seldom talked about youth disease. The College Park community came out in full support of this worthy cause. Our Creed teaches us to become a True Gentleman, and this event is a prime example of what our fraternity is all about. Best wishes go out to Mike, his family and friends.
- Seven Centennial Honor Roll Honorees Named as part of DFSL's celebration of 100 years of Greek life on the University of Maryland Campus. Each Greek Letter organization earned one honoree slot for every 10 years they remained active on campus. SAE is proud to boast of our seven honorees:
- Harold M. "Hal" Brierley, '65
- Harry C. "Curly" Byrd, '43 (posthumously)
- Raymond M. "Hondo" Davids, '77
- Edward M. "Ed" Downey, '52
- Christopher P. "Chris" Gaylor, '72
- John N. Lauer, '63
- Charles E. "Chaz" Seymour, '82
SAE National Fraternity Fact Sheet (click to view)
* Our Mission: "Advancing the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, leadership and service for our members throughout life."
* Our Values: "In congruence with the Mission and virtues of SAE, we hold these core values critical to advance the Strategic Plan: Trust, Integrity, Loyalty, Honor and Inclusivity".
* Our Vision: "True Gentlemen making our global community better"
* Our Creed: The True Gentleman (click to view)
Pictured above at the April 1, 2016 "Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl" Philanthropy event, kneeling L - R: Yuval Elkun Philanthropy/Service Chair, Nate Riley, Benton Williams, Ross Kone and Joe Malandruccolo; standing L - R, Mike Schraibman, Anthony Ferraro, Andrew Warden Chapter President, Kevin Bergmann, Michael Alecci, Jamie Loftus and Brian Stomel.
For additions or corrections to this page or to the web site, please contact the MDBE Webmaster (click to e-mail)